Frequently Asked Questions
- Can children volunteer?
Yes! We welcome and encourage children to volunteer at HFH. The minimum age varies depending on the volunteer project.
Volunteer to Serve Dinner - ages 4 and up. Youth 16 and under need to volunteer with an adult.
Repack Stock Room, and Food Recovery Center - ages 10 and up.
Events - ages 16 and up.
For all opportunities - youth under 18 years old need to bring a signed release form to their first volunteer shift.
- Can I bring a school class or scout troop?
Yes. We love to host student and youth groups for service learning projects. A two-hour volunteer shift will include hands-on food repacking, education about hunger and information about ways that young people can get involved. We host youth groups of up to 35 members plus chaperons.
- Can I complete court mandated community service at OFB?
- We may be able to accommodate you based on shift availability and a few other factors. Visit our court mandated volunteer page to learn more.
- Can you accommodate volunteers with disabilities?
- We will be happy to accommodate anyone with disabilities. Unfortunately our center is not handy-cap accessible. We encourage you to contact the Haven to discuss any accommodations you might need so we can make sure to set up a successful experience. Send an e-mail to email@example.com.
- Do I need to sign up in advance?
- Yes, all volunteers need to sign up in advance. We plan projects and assign staff based on the number of volunteers we've scheduled. Please visit our individuals and families page or groups page to learn about opportunities and to sign up. If you come to a shift and we don't have you on our roster, you may be turned away.
- How do I sign up?
- What if I have more questions?
Contact us! We can answer any and all questions about volunteer opportunities and scheduling.
- What if I need to cancel?
- We understand that all kinds of things can come up in life and that you may need to cancel. We just ask that you let us know as soon as you know by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or calling (978)-531-1530.
- What should I wear?
- For your safety, we require closed-toe and closed-heel shoes for all volunteer projects at HFH. We also strongly recommend clothes that are comfortable and that you don't mind getting a bit dirty. Pants are preferable to shorts.